Flooding can happen anywhere
It just takes a few inches of rain to cause a lot of problems
Did you know that no matter where you live, everyone resides in a flood zone? Even the driest areas can experience what are known as flash floods. Rivers, streams, and lakes are almost always overflowing their banks, given a couple of rainy days.
With only a few inches of water, you can have many hundreds to thousands of dollars’ worth of water damage in your home or commercial building. New construction in your neighborhood can change runoff patterns in the area and can increase your flood risks. Most insurance plans do not include flood damage, and this must be purchased separately, in most cases.
• The average cost of flood damage is around $5,000 to $10,000 depending on the type of damage and where the water came from.
• An inspection and flushing of your hot water heater once a year, by a plumber, can contribute to preventing it bursting on you and flooding the area.
• Replacing the rubber hoses on all appliances that use water with metal braided ones can help to avoid the failing of the rubber ones as they can get hard and burst. Check all hoses; even the metal braided ones every year.
• Leaks from toilets are often indicated by a little leakage from the base.
- Do you know where to locate the main water shut-off? If a pipe burst, inside, you need to be able to get it turned off quickly.
• If you have a sump pump, now is a good time to get it checked and think about a backup unit.
• Always be on the look out for signs of plumbing leaks, such as on ceilings and walls; you are looking for stains and moisture on those walls and floors.
• Leaking or even broken pipes might not be noticed because it might be hidden. Check out your water usage when no faucets are turned on; locate the water meter and take a reading, then use no water for an hour or so and read it again. Has it moved? If so, you have a leak someplace, so get a plumber to check it out.
• Always monitor your monthly water bill. If it goes up a lot one billing cycle, you might have the need for a plumber to come in and check all connections.
• Since a lot of water comes from inside your home and can damage many walls, floors, furniture and provide the moisture needed for molds to grow, doing whatever can be done to prevent leaks is a good exercise to undertake.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and operated. We have technicians available 24 hours a day. Call us at (805)963-0606.
What to do in the event of a fire
A fire in your home can be one of the most devastating events
You Need Fire Damage Experts to Get the Job Done Right
One of the most devastating events that can affect your home in Santa Barbara or Santa Ynez is a fire. In addition to the financial damage, fires can destroy your valuable possessions and cause unwanted water damage. This can cause a feeling of hoplessness and stress.
In many cases, homeowners are tempted to start the cleanup process by themselves after a fire has impacted their property. Don't make this mistake. Instead, you should first contact your insurance agent to determine the extent of your coverage for the damages. The insurance company will also need to perform an inspection to your property to attain a clear estimate for repairing damages. You will also need to get in contact with a professional fire damage restoration company.
After analyzing the exterior of the property for superficial damage, the fire damage restoration professional will inspect the interior of your house for damage. This inspection of adjoining rooms for smoke, soot, and water damage will aid in determining an action plan for restoration.
If your home in Santa Barbara or the Santa Ynez Valley has been partially destroyed because of fire, it's important that you allow a fire damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta to restore your house to its pre-fire condition. We offer round-the-clock assistance by our highly trained technicians using the most cutting-edge equipment available.
We live and work in Santa Barbara and the Santa Ynez Valley too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is close by and ready to respond to your fire or damage emergency. We are available 24 hours a day. Contact us at (805)963-0606.
Santa Barbara County wildfires bring smoke and soot
The wildfire got close to this home but didn't burn it down, but now there's smoke and soot damage to clean up.
Fires in the Santa Barbara foothills sadly not uncommon. And our firefighters work hard to protect the homes in those areas. Those flames though are not the only thing that homeowners have to worry about. Soot and smoke come right along with the fire and they try really hard to get into your home.
You close your doors and windows to try to keep the smoke out but as long as there is a way for air to get into your house, smoke and soot come along for the ride. Once they get into your house, they bring an odor that is unpleasant.
How do you get rid of these unwanted odors? Well SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta of course. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta has all of the equipment and all of the experience necessary to clean your home and get rid of odors and residue. We will bring your home back to its preloss condition and make it smell "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and operated. Contact us at (805)963-0606.
Storms in Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez can cause water damage
Hopefully the rain stays outside
Here in Santa Barbara county, we are lucky that we never have to deal with hurricanes or blizzards or tornadoes. Although the level of storms we receive may never reach that intensity, we have had some strong storms that have caused significant water damage.
Winter is the time of the year when the storms arrive and now is the time to make sure you are ready for them. Look around your roof for loose shingles and have a roofer come out soon if you need repairs. You do not want to have to call a roofer when it is raining outside. Roofers become super busy once the rain starts falling and getting one to make an emergency repair can be an exercise in frustration.
If you find water leaking inside your home, it is good to keep the phone number for SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta handy. We can be reached at 805-963-0606 twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Most insurance companies will cover the expense of a roof leak but it is best to check with your insurer to confirm this.
SERVPRO is on call 24 hours since your pipes can't tell time
SERVPRO is on call 24 hours a day
Sometimes the calls come during the week between the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00pm. But there are times they do not. Pipes do not care what time of the day it is. They do not care about if you had a party planned or if you just got finished with your renovations. When they decide to leak or burst, it is their decision, not yours.
When the pipes in a local hotel decided that is was their time to clog and spill their contents, unfortunately these pipes carried raw sewage. Fortunately the loss happened in their parking structure. This was definitely a job for SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta.
Our professional technicians rushed to the hotel and quickly began work. After treating everything with an anti-microbial solution to begin the sanitization process, the techs did the dirty work of extracting whatever liquids they came across. They steamed the cement to make sure all of the surfaces were as clean as they could be and finished up with another healthy application of disinfectant. Before long, the garage was ready again for cars.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and operated and has techs available 24 hours a day. Call us at (805)963-0606.
Tips for water damage in your commercial property
Water damage in a Solvang office
Tips from SERVPRO of Santa Barbara for Your Commercial Water Damage
Water damage is a concern that commercial property owners may face at any given moment. However, there are things that business owners can do to decrease losses, reduce their stress, and limit financial expenditures. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez suggests the following tips to help you make this event less damaging to your business.
1. The source of the water damage must be located and repaired. If more than turning off a faucet, unclogging a drain, or turning off the main supply line is required, call a plumber or maintenance. React quickly.
2. Take pictures of the areas of the property, equipment, and furnishings that have been damaged by water. Normally, water damage is covered under a business insurance policy but flooding by a storm may not be covered under the general policy. If an insurance adjuster is called in to estimate damages and repair costs, we suggest that SERVPRO is also contacted to meet and coordinate water damage restoration plans with your adjuster. We have working relationships, or are an approved vendor, for over 315 insurance companies, property management companies and federal, state, and local government agencies.
3. Contact a commercial water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta to complete the water removal, clean up, drying, repair, and content restoration processes. A restoration company should have the attributes that will indicate a well-organized, trained and equipped company to fit your needs:
- IICRC certification
• A good Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating
• Good online reviews and testimonials from past customers
• Competitive rates, no overselling of unneeded services
• 24/7 emergency services, with rapid response to location
• Great customer service, from start to completion
1. Don't try to clean up the water damage yourself if there are large amounts of water. Wicking and absorption of water into drywall, furniture and flooring requires special drying techniques as water travels faster and farther than most people expect. Deep standing water can hide hazards. Given that you do not possess the specialized equipment and protective gear necessary to protect yourself against these hazards, attempting to complete the water damage cleanup process yourself could increase your susceptibility to injury and illness.
2. In the case of massive water intrusion, do not reenter the commercial property before receiving approval. Personal safety and preservation of property are of paramount importance.
3. Don't try to use newspaper to absorb water on any upholstery or fabrics as the ink may run causing staining.
4. Don't walk over wet carpet unless doing so is unavoidable.
5. Don't turn on any appliances or business machines.
Commercial Water Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large or small commercial water or flood damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building in Goleta or big box store in Santa Barbara or a winery in the Santa Ynez Valley, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion. Call us 24/7 for immediate assistance. (805) 963-0606
The American Red Cross Recognizes SERVPRO
A couple of years ago, The American Red Cross recognized SERVPRO for their contribution to disaster clean up.
The American Red Cross has recognized SERVPRO, a cleanup and restoration company, for participation in its Disaster Responder Program. As a Disaster Responder Program member, SERVPRO pledges a donation to the Red Cross in advance of disasters, allowing the organization to respond quickly and effectively to over 60,000 disasters on average annually, most of which are home fires. SERVPRO is entering their seventh year of partnership with the Red Cross; their donations to the organization to date have exceed one million dollars.
According to statistics cited by the Red Cross, seven people die in a home fire each day in the U.S. Aiming to reduce deaths and injuries caused by home fires by 25 percent by the end of 2019, the Red Cross launched a Home Fire Campaign in October of 2014. The support of SERVPRO and other Disaster Responder Program members allows the Red Cross to pursue their home fire prevention goals while they continue to provide critical services to disaster victims.
SERVPRO's commitment to the Red Cross Disaster Responder Program means that, when disaster strikes, homeowners can count on the Red Cross to address their immediate needs and supply essential services.
Once the immediate emergency is under control, homeowners can count on the expertise of restoration specialists at SERVPRO to help them restore their property and move forward with their lives.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez has been all across the country to help those affected by natural disasters, and especially those in the Montecito mud slides. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta are here to help.
Big or Little Fire, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta can help
A small fire in the kitchen can lead to damage throughout the house
There are big fires and there are little fires that may only burn a small area of your home. Both can cause damage and SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is here to help when they do. If you have a large fire in your home, the structure can be severely compromised, contents possibly may be burned, smoke damage could be throughout the house, and there might even be water damage from firefighters hoses or sprinklers. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta can help out with all of those issues. SERVPRO has professionals that have specific training for both fire and water damage restoration along with the experience to make sure that your home is quickly and efficiently brought back to its preloss condition.
During a smaller fire, you may be able to get to the flames quickly but often there is an issue with smoke and ash afterwards. Smoke can travel throughout a large area. Unless you are completely able to remove that residue, you will continue to smell the smoke. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is able to do a detailed cleaning of any of the affected areas. In addition to cleaning walls, floors, and ceilings, SERVPRO will make sure to address any contents that may have been impacted by the soot. We can clean any non-porous contents and we have the resources to make sure that any porous materials, such as clothing and bedding, are cleaned properly.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and operated. Contact us at (805)963-0606 to help restore it "Like it never even happened."
What to do when a sewer line backs up in your home
SERVPRO can help 24/7
Sewage backups can ruin your day. Cleaning the up on your own is not recommended. Raw sewage can contain some really bad things, even more so if you’re downstream from a hospital or health clinic. The EPA has a long of nasty things that can be in the black water of a sewer line that has been damaged. Horrible things like typhoid fever, cholera, hepatitis A, polio viruses, and super nasty things like helminths! Helminths are parasitic worms that feed off of the host (you) and are also known as intestinal worms. So if you can help it, don’t even walk through the affected area and keep pets away. Make your first calls to the city (if you are on their system) and to a plumber to help stop the leak or find out why the sewer line backed up in the first place.
When SERVPROof Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is called out to a blackwater loss, the first thing the technicians will do is to put on their PPE (personal protective equipment ), assess the impacted area, and then immediately treat the affected materials with EPA registered antimicrobial. This will stop the growth of any those nasty things and start to kill most of the things mentioned above.
Unfortunately not much can be saved on a sewer loss. Anything non-structural that has had black water contact needs to be removed and thrown out. It may be possible to save some content items as long as they are non-porous or can be fully treated such as laundered. This should only be considered if the items are special or of high value.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta will set up critical containment using sheeting to separate the affected area from the unaffected area to help prevent cross contamination. Next, the technicians will apply antimicrobial, extract all standing black water and dispose of it back into the sewer, apply more antimicrobial solution. The SERVPRO employees will carefully start removing and documenting total loss contents. Contents that possibly can be saved are left in place or taken back to a safe place at the SERVPRO warehouse for detail cleaning and disinfection.
Once the total loss contents are removed, SERVPRO technicians start to carefully remove flooring, drywall and insulation. After all of those non-structural building materials have been removed, antimicrobial solution is applied again and allowed some time before a clean water rinse and extraction. The final application of antimicrobial is then applied which enables SERVPRO to set up drying equipment such as air movers, dehumidifiers, HEPA filtered air scrubbers or hydroxyl air movers. Hydroxyl is a great way to clean toxins from the air using powerful ultraviolet light and moisture to make a safe oxidizer that the cleans the air.
Once SERVPRO has completely dried the affected area, repairs can begin. The drying process usually takes 4 to 5 days. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is a Licensed General Contractor and will make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is a licensed general contractor
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and operated. We are available for emergencies 24/7. Call us at (805)963-0606.
Mold in your commercial building
A small amount of water can lead to a full-blown mold colony
Mold is one of those things that you do not give too much thought to in life except for when for some reason, an area of your commercial building starts to smell a little musty or you notice the tell-tale dark patch on your drywall. The truth about mold is that it is everywhere. Like dust or pollen, mold spores are just a part of our natural biosphere and they actually do serve a useful purpose. Mold is nature's great decomposer and is valuable in recycling any organic waste.
Whether you like it or not, your commercial property is currently filled with microscopic mold spores. And it doesn't pose any problem until the day that the mold spores are introduced to a little bit of moisture. With just a little introduction to moisture, that mold spore can grow into a colony. That is when you might start to notice a musty odor or start to see the dark shadows. First things first, you need to contact a plumber to find the source of the water. Cleaning the mold without fixing the leak will just lead to more mold.
And that is the time for you to call SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta. We have the training and expertise to safely handle any mold situation you may come across.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and operated. Call us at (805)963-0606.