Kitchen fire in Buellton
This fire was stopped short of major destruction and injury or death because this Buellton family was awoken by the smoke detectors. The were able safely evacuate and put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.
It is recommended That smoke detectors are tested at least once a month and replaced every ten years. According to FEMA the odds of surviving a home fire are cut in half for homes with no smoke detectors! Also, when smoke detectors start to chirp please put in a new battery. Do NOT unplug it and remove it!
It is also important to have a plan everyone in the home knows and practices for emergencies. This is recommended by the American Red Cross