If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (805) 963-0606

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

If you are a renter how could a bad storm affect you

10/20/2021 (Permalink)

Storm debris piled in front of a home Storm debris caused by Hurricane Michael

First of all, renters should strongly consider getting renters insurance policy. Often the same company you use for your auto insurance can provide a quote and coverage for renters insurance. Also, offering a multi line discount.

However, beware flood insurance is not usually included in a standard property policy.  You have to add it. Flood insurance can be purchased as a separate policy that has a 30 day waiting period before coverage begins.

For more information on flood insurance go to the FEMA web site.

As a renter or tenant you are usually responsible for a insurance policy that covers personal possessions and loss of use or ALE (alternate living expenses). The landlord usually is not responsible and will not pay to relocate you if the home or apartment you rent can not be lived in do to a loss.

Residential landlords are usually responsible for insurance for the property itself; the structure only. 

So, please look into getting coverage. Most people are surprised how much the cost is to relocate much less getting new furniture and clothes if there is a divesting fire. Make sure you buy the right amount of coverage as well.

For more information or if you need help contact SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta anytime;

(805) 963-0606


Other News

View Recent Posts