A fun weekend away can be ruined by water damage when you return
Less than $10. That is what the cost is of a 3/8” compression 20-inch braided steel faucet supply line at the hardware store. But such a small, inexpensive piece can be responsible for thousands of dollars of damage when it bursts.
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta has helped many homeowners who returned from an out of town trip to find when they return, their supply line had failed and there was water in their kitchen, living room, and dining room. The experts recommend that you periodically check all of your supply lines to make sure that there are no signs of wear and tear but realistically this rarely gets done. After all, who really thinks about these things until there's a problem?
If you are going to be away from home for any length of time, here are a few tips to ensure that you do not come back to a house filled with water.
- Turn off the main water valve coming to your house
- If you are really concerned, you can shut off valves to toilets, dishwashers, washing machines or any other appliance
- Obviously, take the time to inspect your supply lines
- Check your gutters to make sure there are no blockages
- Install automatic shut-offs that detect leaks and shut off your devices when moisture is sensed
If you do suffer a water damage, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara and Santa Ynez/Goleta is locally owned and ready to help. We work with most insurances. Call us at (805)963-0606.