Hot Attics Bring Ash Odors
We showed up to do a mold job that was pretty much like any other mold job we do. When our work was completed, the customer called and told us he still noticed an odor in the home. We sent out a nose to sniff around and see what he could smell.
Our technician said that there was definitely a familiar smell in the house but it was not mold. In his professional experience, he believed the smell to be ash. He asked the home owner if he could look in the attic. He was not surprised when he saw that the insulation was covered with soot.
Who knows which fire brought in the ash? Maybe it was the Thomas Fire, maybe it was the Woolsey Fire or it could have been from any of the recent wildfires we have had. When those fires burned they forced tons of burning material into the sky and the wind deposited it anyplace there was an opening, which includes any of the vents in your attic.
Now that summer is finally here, attics are warming up and as they warm, they cause the ash to heat up and release odors. If this becomes a problem in your house, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara can help. Give us a call at 805-963-0606.