Santa Barbara Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training and equipment, you could be spreading mold throughout your home
If you see visible mold, your best move is to leave it alone. When you disturb mold by trying to remove it, you can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. Mold spores are microscopic and when you try to clean them, the mold can release tiny spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Santa Barbara for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 805-963-0606
Commercial Water Damage Tips
Commercial water damage in a classroom in Santa Barbara
Tips from SERVPRO of Santa Barbara for Your Commercial Water Damage
Water damage is a serious issue that commercial property owners may face at any given moment. However, business owners who know how to handle the repercussions can decrease losses, reduce their stress, and limit financial expenditures. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara suggests the following tips to help you make this event less damaging to your business.
1. The source of the water damage must be located and terminated. If more than turning off a faucet, unclogging a drain, or turning off the main supply line is required, call a plumber or maintenance. The less standing water, the less water damage, and the less time to return to pre-water damage condition. React quickly.
2. Take pictures of the areas of the property, equipment, and furnishings that have been damaged by water. Normally, water damage is covered under a business insurance policy but flooding by a storm may not be covered under the general policy. If an insurance adjuster is called in to estimate damages and repair costs, we suggest that SERVPRO is also contacted to meet and coordinate water damage restoration plans with your adjuster. We have working relationships, or are an approved vendor, for over 315 insurance companies, property management companies and federal, state, and local government agencies.
3. Contact a commercial water damage restoration company like SERVPRO to complete the water removal, clean up, drying, repair, and content restoration processes. The following attributes will indicate a well-organized, trained and equipped company to fit your needs:
- IICRC certification
• A good Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating BBB Rating
• Good online reviews and testimonials from past customers
• Competitive rates, no overselling of unneeded services
• 24/7 emergency services, with rapid response to location
• Great customer service, from start to completion
1. Don't try to clean up the water damageyourself if there are large amounts of water. Wicking and absorption of water into drywall, furniture and flooring requires special drying techniques. Deep standing water may conceal dangerous objects along with a slippery surface. Given that you do not possess the specialized equipment and protective gear necessary to protect yourself against these hazards, attempting to complete the water damage cleanupprocess yourself could increase your susceptibility to injury and illness.
2. In the case of massive water intrusion, do not reenter the commercial property before receiving approval. Personal safety and preservation of property are of paramount importance.
3. Don't try to use newspaper to absorb water on any upholstery or fabrics as the ink may run causing staining.
4. Don't walk over wet carpet unless doing so is unavoidable.
5. Don't turn on any appliances or business machines.
Commercial Water Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial water or flood damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building in Goleta or big box store in Santa Barbara, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion. Learn more about Learn more about our training and certifications. Call us 24/7 for immediate assistance. (805) 963-0606
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara Can Restore Your Fire Damaged Property
This fire-damaged garage in Santa Barbara has seen better days
Once your home in Santa Barbara is hit by a fire, your top priority is getting your property cleaned and repaired. In many cases, this desire leads people to pursue DIY cleanup projects. If this were your planned methodology, you should reconsider this course of action. If the fire damage is of any consequence, many concerns need to be addressed. Can you do all of these tasks yourself?
1. Water Removal - Standing water left behind after the fire extinguishing efforts of the local fire department have several important ramifications. The resulting water damage can be furniture, electronics, clothing, drywall, ceilings, flooring, and more. Water removal must be done quickly. SERVPRO utilizes water pumps, wet-vacs, high-velocity fans and dehumidifiers to extract the water and moisture quickly, thereby mitigating the damage. Fire damage unfortunately, has collateral damage.
2. Smoke Damage: The smoke damage that results from a fire can be quite substantive. In fact, the smoke left behind can become embedded in your furniture, flooring, carpets, and walls. If left unaddressed, this smoke damage can remain in your property for years. Soot, another by-product of specific fires, needs special attention for proper clean up to avoid staining of walls and furniture. Effectively removing smoke necessitates the use of professional procedures and products that fire restoration specialists from SERVPRO of Santa Barbara have in their arsenal.
3. Salvageable Goods: In many cases, homeowners who seek to complete the remediation process on their own will throw away items that are salvageable. Don't make this mistake. Instead, allow SERVPRO to assist you with this aspect of the restoration process. We will assess, inspect and issue you a Contents Claim Inventory Service form--CCIS. This inventories affected household items and classifies them into non-salvageable, salvageable or questionable lists. Items can be containerized and cleaned at our facility by our IICRC-trained technicians.
4. Time Efficiency: If you attempt to complete the fire restoration process without professional assistance, the project will take a lot of time and probably lack positive results. However, hiring SERVPRO of Santa Barbara to put your home back in a repaired, healthy condition after fire damage enables you to feel confident of the restoration. Consider the effort, equipment, and training involved in successfully restoring your home to its pre-fire condition.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in Santa Barbara too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara is close by and ready to respond to your smoke or fire damage emergency in Buellton, Summerland, Santa Ynez, Carpinteria, Goleta, Solvang and other areas. We are proud to be an active member of the Santa Barbara community. Call us to help you. (805) 963-0606
Let SERVPRO of Santa Barbara Take Care of Mold Remediation in Your Home
Without proper ventilation, mold is happy to grow on your bathroom ceiling
Mold is a type of fungus that is different from bacteria, plants, and animals. It’s made up of micro-organisms that help decompose dead organic material such as plants, leaves, and wood. These colonies resemble hair-like bodies and are too small to be seen individually with the naked eye. If they are thriving in your Santa Barbara home, mold remediation is a must. As seen on the surface of an object, mold will appear to be black, blue or green.
Where Is Mold Found?
Mold occurs naturally in both outdoor and indoor environments. Outdoors, it’s one of nature’s ways of helping to break down dead organic matter. However, mold growth indoors can cause health effects so mold remediation is needed. SERVPRO recommends that you call us at the first hint of a possible mold infestation.
Where Does Mold Grow Indoors?
Indoors, mold can be found growing on ceilings, walls, floors, windows, clothes, insulation, air ducts, building voids, and especially, in damp areas of basements or crawlspaces. A professional mold remediation service is the safe and most effective approach. The professionals from SERVPRO of Santa Barbara understand industry protocols and have the necessary equipment to do an effective job. Moisture meters, hydrometers, "air scrubbers," HEPA vacuums, and antifungal and antimicrobial products are utilized.
SERVPRO technicians know where to search for harmful, hidden molds and complete the mold remediation protocols. We can also advise you how best to protect your Santa Barbara home.
Locally Owned, with National Resources
We live and work in Santa Barbara too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara is close by and ready to respond to your mold damage emergency from Summerland and Carpinteria to Solvang and Santa Ynez. Call us at (805) 963-0606
Getting Rid of the Moisture Gets Rid of the Mold
If you keep the water away, you can keep the mold away
Water Removal From Your Santa Barbara Home
If your residential property in Santa Barbara is exposed to water damage, getting rid of the moisture is a must. Water damage can give rise to the development and spread of toxic molds initiated by mold spores. These spores occur naturally in all home environments and the trick is not to let standing water nurture their growth. When you contract a high-quality water restoration service like SERVPRO of Santa Barbara, we make sure you won't have to grapple with those kind of unwanted after effects.
A call to SERVPRO of Santa Barbara will get our trained professionals to your home quickly. Prior to beginning their water removal efforts, the company's technicians will identify the source of the water damage, assess the situation, and establish an action plan. Powerful pumps and wet-vacs start the removal of large quantities of water to help off-set possible secondary water damage. The water remediation specialists will also use sanitizer to disinfect your property, a key treatment in preventing the growth and proliferation of mold and bacteria. After the removal of all insulation or wet drywall, dehumidifiers and air-movers are set up to dry any affected framing.
Although water damage can be a taxing reality to deal with, knowing a proper course of action can prevent stress for you and preserve the structural integrity of your home. To ensure that you react to the results of water damage effectively, it's important that you call professionals who can handle the remediation and restoration processes with skill and speed. The team to trust is SERVPRO of Santa Barbara. Their skill set includes a sense of urgency to restore your structure and property to its previous condition in the quickest time possible.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara is strategically located to respond quickly to your flood or water damage event.
Please call us at (805) 963-0606
A Flood in Montecito?
When it rains hard enough, you can have flooding anywhere, like in this Montecito crawlspace
A Flood Damage Can Still Happen in Montecito
Did you know that everyone resides in a flood zone? Even the driest areas can experience what are known as flash floods. Rivers, streams, and lakes are almost always overflowing their banks, given a couple of rainy days.
With only a few inches of water, you can have many hundreds to thousands of dollars’ worth of water damage in your home or commercial building. A flash flood can often bring a wall of water that is 10 to 15 feet high. New construction in your neighborhood can change runoff patterns in the area and can increase your flood risks. Most insurance plans do not include flood damage, and this must be purchased separately, in most cases.
Some Other Interesting Facts That Are Flood Damage
• The average cost of flood damage is around $5,000 to $10,000 depending on the type of damage and where the water came from, so any tips that can help prevent this has to be worth the time to try them.
• An inspection and flushing of your hot water heater once a year, by a plumber, can contribute to preventing it bursting on you and flooding the area.
• Replacing the rubber hoses on all appliances that use water with metal braided ones can help to avoid the failing of the rubber ones as they can get hard and burst. Check all hoses; even the metal braided ones every year.
• Leaks from toilets are often indicated by a little leakage from the base.
- Do you know where to locate the main water shut-off? If a pipe burst, inside, you need to be able to get it turned off quickly.
• If you have a sump pump, now is a good time to get it checked and think about a backup unit.
• Always be looking for signs of plumbing leaks, such as on ceilings and walls; you are looking for stains and moisture on those walls and floors.
• Leaking or even broken pipes are often gushing water, and it is not noticed because it might be hidden. Check out your water usage when no faucets are turned on; locate the water meter and take a reading, then use no water for an hour or so and read it again. Has it moved? If so, you have a leak someplace, so get a plumber to check it out.
• Always monitor your monthly water bill. If it goes up a lot one billing cycle, you might have the need for a plumber to come in and check all connections.
• Since a lot of water comes from inside your home and can damage many walls, floors, furniture and provide the moisture needed for molds to grow, doing whatever can be done to prevent leaks is a good exercise to undertake.
When you do experience flood damage in your Montecito home, call SERVPRO of Santa Barbara at (805) 963-0606
Fire Damage Action to Take
When fires happen, let SERVPRO help you deal with the process
You Need Fire Damage Experts to Get the Job Done Right
One of the most devastating events that can affect your home in Santa Barbara is fire damage. In addition to financial damage, fires can destroy your valuable possessions and cause unwanted water damage. In many cases, homeowners become anxious and feel a sense of hopelessness when they witness the depth and scope of their fire-damaged property. However, hiring a fire damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Santa Barbara can limit your losses and restore your equilibrium.
In many cases, homeowners are tempted to start the cleanup process by themselves after a fire has impacted their property. Don't make this mistake. Instead, you should first contact your insurance agent to determine the extent of your coverage for the damages. The insurance company will also need to perform an inspection to your property to attain a clear estimate for repairing damages. You will also need to get in contact with a professional fire damage restoration company.
A restoration expert will check your property for superficial damage. During this process, the remediation professional will start with the exterior and look for things like missing shingles, damaged chimneys, melted objects, and fire-damaged items. Additionally, the specialist will check your roof, yard, and other exterior regions of the property. Throughout the assessment, it's a good idea for you to use a video recorder or camera to take pictures of these items, only if it can be done safely. This visual evidence will help you in the event that you have challenges with achieving appropriate insurance restitution.
After analyzing the exterior of the property for superficial damage, the fire damage restoration professional will inspect the interior of your house for damage. This inspection of adjoining rooms for smoke, soot, and water damage will aid in determining an action plan for restoration.
If your home in Santa Barbara has been partially destroyed because of fire, it's important that you allow a fire damage restoration company like SERVPRO to restore your house to its pre-fire condition. We offer round-the-clock assistance by our highly trained technicians using the most cutting-edge equipment available.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We live and work in Santa Barbara too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Santa Barbara is close by and ready to respond to your fire or damage emergency.
We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. Call us. (805) 963-0606
Mold Damage in Historic Lompoc Theater
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara hard at work on the historic Lompoc Theater Restoration Project
The Lompoc theater has stood proudly in the center of Lompoc since 1927. It was once the home to a multitude of exciting musical events from symphonies to rock concerts, live theater events from vaudeville to ballet, and to cinema from small indies to Hollywood blockbusters. But, alas, the theaters glory days were behind her and time has not been kind to the theater.
Fortunately, the community has rallied recently with the intention of bringing the historic theater back to life. A committee was put together to raise funds to try to restore the old theater. The committee thought that it would be ideal for potential donors to see the interior of the theater so that they could better be inspired to give. The only problem was that the years of neglect had left the theater with serious issues from bird feces as well as a substantial amount of mold.
A call was made to SERVPRO of Santa Barbara. It was a lot of tough work but SERVPRO was able to remove and sanitize all of the areas affected by the pigeon poop. Then the highly trained professionals got started on the mold and before long, that was gone as well. The theater was able to hold a 90th anniversary celebration fundraiser in which the public could safely step inside to view the jewel of downtown Lompoc.
Santa Barbara Storms Can Cause Water Damage
SERVPRO of Santa Barbara employee works outside in a storm to divert water from getting into the home
Santa Barbara is very fortunate when it comes to storms. We never have to deal with hurricanes or blizzards or tornadoes. Although the level of storms we receive may never reach that intensity, we do still get storms that can cause water damages.
Winter seems to be the time of the year when the storms arrive and now is the time to make sure you are ready for them. Look around your roof for loose shingles and have a roofer come out soon if you need repairs. You do not want to have to call a roofer when it is raining outside. Roofers become super busy once the rain starts falling and getting one to make an emergency repair can be an exercise in frustration.
If your roof does not do it's job and you find water leaking inside your home, it is good to keep the phone number for SERVPRO of Santa Barbara handy. We can be reached at 805-963-0606 twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Most insurance companies will cover the expense of a roof leak but it is best to check with your insurer to confirm this.
Wildfires Bring Smoke to Santa Barbara
The wildfire got close but the smoke got even closer
The fires tend to burn in the foothills near Santa Barbara which is good because there have not been any homes that have caught on fire. Those flames though are not the only thing that homeowners have to worry about. Soot and smoke come right along with the fire and they try really hard to get into your home.
You close your doors and you close your windows. Smoke does not care. As long as there is a way for air to get into your house, Smoke and his buddy Soot come along for the ride. Once they get into your house, they bring an odor that is unpleasant.
How do you get rid of these unwanted guests? Well SERVPRO of Santa Barbara of course. SERVPRO of Santa Barbara has all of the equipment and all of the experience necessary to clean your home and get rid of that offensive smell. We will bring your home back to its preloss condition and make it smell "Like it never even happened".